Sunday, October 5, 2008

Jean Beraud The Great Boulevard painting

Jean Beraud The Great Boulevard paintingJean Beraud Le Billard paintingJean Beraud La Rue de la Paix 1907 painting
forgotten she was there.
‘It is.’
I could not even now leave my picture, although the sun was down and the room fading to monochrome. I took it from the easel and held it up to the windows, put it back and lightened a shadow. Then, suddenly weary in head and eyes and back and arm, I gave it up for the evening and turned to Cordelia.
She was now fifteen and had grown tall, nearly to her full height, in the last eighteen months. She had not the promise of Julia’s full quattrocento loveliness; there was a touch of Brideshead already in her length of nose and high cheekbone; she was in black, mourning for her mother.
‘I’m tired,’ I said.
‘I bet you are. Is it finished?’
‘Practically. I must go over it again tomorrow.’
‘D’you know it’s long past dinner time? There’s no one here to cook anything

No comments: