Monday, October 20, 2008

Henri Rousseau The Sleeping Gypsy painting

Henri Rousseau The Sleeping Gypsy painting
Henri Rousseau The Dream painting
responsible way; and rather than that the State should pay he undertook to rebuild and refurnish the house himself. Loud applause from the House. This was most unjust and dishonest, particularly as he had no intention of keeping his undertaking. I was forced to sell my last important piece of property in Rome, a block of houses near the Cattle Market and a large building site adjoining, to rebuild the house at my own expense. I never told Gennanicus that Caligula had been the incendiary, because he would have felt obliged to make good the damage himself; and, I suppose it was, in a way, an accident, because one couldn't hold so young a child responsible.
Paul Cezanne Trees in Park painting
When Germanicus's men went out to fight the Germans again they had a new addition to that ballad of Augustus's Three griefs, of which I recall two or three verses and odd lines of others, most of them ridiculous:
Six gold bits a man he left us
For to buy us pork and beans, For to buy us cheese and craknels
In the German dry canteens.
and

No comments: