Thursday, October 23, 2008

Winslow Homer Rowing Home painting

Winslow Homer Rowing Home paintingWinslow Homer Light on the Sea paintingWinslow Homer Kissing the Moon painting
because he was my friend. And Calpurnius because he was my friend. And now my dear Pulchra is doomed too, though her only crime is her foolish fondness for me. People are beginning to avoid me, saying that I am unlucky."
Tiberius took her by the shoulders and said once more:
And if you are not queen, my dear, Think you that you are wronged?
Pulchra was condemned and executed. The Crown Prosecutor was a man called Afer, engaged because of his eloquence. A few days later Agrippina happened to see him outside the theatre. He appeared ashamed of himself and avoided meeting her eye. She went up to him and said:
"There is no occasion for you to hide from me, Afer." Then she quoted from Homer, but with alterations to suit the context, Achilles's reassuring answer to the embarrassed heralds who came to him with a humiliating message from Agamemnon. She said:

No comments: